Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Underdog

Today, it was Andy Roddick. Entering today's final match at Wimbledon against Roger Federer, Andy had never won the most prestigious grass court tournament. Federer, on the other hand, had won 5 Wimbledon titles. After today's match, make that: 6 for Roger and zero for Andy. Sorry, Andy. I pulled for you; I screamed at the television in ecstasy and agony during the parts of the match that I was able to watch. I didn't get to see the match in its entirety: Naomi's ritual of watching morning television; attending church; lunch preparation. They all superseded you. I, too, was at times an underdog today in my attempt to devote 100% of my attention to watching you valiantly lose Wimbledon. You put up a great, great fight, but like most underdogs you, too, were ultimately defeated. I truly mourned your loss. Thanks for the effort, and I hope to be able to spend another 'Breakfast at Wimbledon' rooting for you, or another underdog.

No comments:

Post a Comment