Friday, July 3, 2009

Father's Day

I was celebrated last Sunday, as part of Father's Day. I am blessed and privileged to be a dad of two marvelous daughters, who continue to challenge, reward and surprise me with their creativity and accomplishments, words and actions, sensitivity and love.
On this particular Father's Day, my wife, Naomi and I were joined by Roberta (dear friend and godmother to Naomi) on a bike ride to church. I got to witness my youngest grow in skill and confidence as she realized she could change gears on her new (albeit hand-me-down) bike. I reveled in hearing the excitement in her voice as she became aware of her accomplishment.
A few days before Father's Day, I attended a Young People's Theatre performance, in which my eldest daughter, Abby was performing. The performance culminates a 3-week workshop in which the participants create characters, write a play and learn a dance based upon a pre-determined theme. This session's theme was Because I Said So. The title for Abby's play was Single Ladies Support Group, and it consisted of monologues by women of various ages, who have been jilted in one way or another. Abby chose to portray a woman with multiple personality disorder, with one of the personalities being a man named Rupert. Like witnessing Naomi learning to change gears, I thrilled at witnessing the creativity and complexity of Abby's emotional, intellectual and physical character development, as she delivered her monologue and performed in the group acting scenes and dance.
As I said before, I am blessed. My life has been unfathomably enriched by having the privelige of being a father, especially to my oh so wonderful daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment