Thursday, July 16, 2009

38 in a 30

We planned to get on the road at "0-Dark:30", which is how my dear friend and self-proclaimed curmudgeon, Gene Ganske, describes an unreasonably early hour to have to set out on a trip. We awoke to my cellphone alarm at 5:30am. Having showered and packed the night before, we were leaving the Holiday Inn and on the road away from Kearney, Nebraska, a via point from Denver, Colorado to Northfield, Minnesota, at 6am. 10 hours later I left the 70-75mph interstates behind and was driving through the small town of Dundas, MN. Perilously close to our final destination and heading toward Hwy 3 and Cub Foods to pick up 3 different types of milk (skim, soy and lactose free) and a few other things to get us through breakfast the next morning, my wife saw the officer in the white car parked along the side of the road, before I did. I did, in fact, notice him but too late, and I knew as soon as I passed him that I was busted.
He was both courteous and observant.
He noticed:
  1. Naomi sleeping in the back seat (for the first time of the entire 10-hour trip)--thank goodness she was in her booster seat.
  2. I did NOT have my seat belt fastened. I am in the habit of taking it off when reachig for my wallet (or our streetside mailbox), which I keep in a compartment between the two front seats when I am driving (the wallet, not the mailbox). I didn't stop to think that he would need to see that I was legally buckled in when he came up to the van. He informed me that he couldn't see whether or not I was buckled from where he was parked on the side of the road. So, if you are ever driving without your seat belt fastened and are stopped by the law enforcement, buckle that baby up, ASAP.
  3. I was wearing headphones around my neck. Asking me if I had these on while I was driving (apparently against the law) I inadvertently told a non-truth, and said, No. I actually had been listening to a favorite playlist on my iPod during much of the trip, but I honestly was NOT listening to music with headphones when he stopped me.
  4. I was driving 38 in a 30 mph zone.
As I was looking at the officer's premature hair loss and wondering if I could pose as a Rogaine rep, offer him a discount on a treatment in exchange for a forgiven ticket and be on our way, he surprised me by saying he was not going to cite me today, and he let me off with a warning.
So, I was impressed with his courtesy, powers of observation, and compassion for someone who obviously was not operating at full capacity. Well done, city of Dundas!

No comments:

Post a Comment